Europaallee, Zurich: SBB has approved final construction stage.
Press release, 12.12.2014
The construction of Europaallee in Zurich is progressing as planned: SBB has approved the final phase of construction and has signed a framework contract with Google for offices on Europaallee. Google will move into several buildings over a period of five years. This means that SBB has let all of its office and service areas on Europaallee five years before completion. Meanwhile, construction is progressing as planned.
The construction of Europaallee is progressing as planned: SBB has approved the final phase for construction. SBB has therefore signed a framework contract with Google for offices at the premises of Europaallee. The technology company is creating new jobs in this area, which is likely to span 50,000 square metres, by 2020. The office spaces are spread across multiple buildings. These are situated on the site of former platforms 51-54 owned by SBB and continue towards Langstrasse.
The determining factors behind Google’s decision to rent office space on Europaallee were the attractive urban environment it offers for employees and the convenient access by public transport. The wide range of usage possibilities, including places to live, work, shop and rest as well as educational and cultural spaces, was an additional incentive. Educational establishments, financial service providers and Google will each occupy a third of the 150,000-square-metre area, creating a good balance.
Europaallee is taking shape.
Milestones for Europaallee in Zurich.
- September 2012: Completion of the first stage (sites A, C, E); opening of the Zurich University of Teacher Education as well as shops and food outlets on the ground floor
- Mid-2014: Completion of Löwenstrasse station, demolition of Sihlpost station
- 2015: Completion of site G; 2017: Site H
- 2015: Construction begins on site B; 2017: Construction begins on sites D and F
- 2020: Completion of the entire Europaallee site