Rail Control System (RCS): controlling and monitoring with Swiss precision.
With the Rail Control System (RCS), SBB has created a new generation of system components for innovative rail control, making optimum use of existing infrastructure to improve safety, punctuality and energy efficiency.
RCS automates rail traffic control to a high level and aids energy-efficient driving, allowing SBB to save 50 gigawatt hours (CHF 6 million) every year! At the same time, SBB’s rail network capacity and service frequency have increased, while any potential conflicts in rail traffic are identified quickly and precisely, ensuring an extraordinarily high level of timetable stability.
The RCS system family is modular and scalable. The entire system consists of a versatile group of applications that can be combined and used as required. The RCS open system architecture means that the system can be extended with specific modules.
The benefits of RCS.
- Enables the company to control all rail traffic with just one system
- Increases track network capacity due to targeted traffic management
- Significantly reduces traffic management and energy costs
- Calculation of the actual state and visualisation of the target state of the track network
- Greater reliability thanks to better timetable stability
- Automatic conflict resolution
- Increased frequency of services
- Precise, prompt and traceable communication
RCS has not only proven itself to be successful on the Swiss track network – the densest in the world – however, as it is also becoming very popular abroad. As well as SBB, Infrabel (Belgium) is also using RCS to control its railway operations, with Deutsche Bahn scheduled to join it soon.
Find out more about RCS and talk to our experts.