New standards, including in terms of safety.
The Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT) features state-of-the-art safety systems to protect passengers, staff and tunnel workers.
- Various systems on the access routes detect any defects on the trains before they enter the tunnel.
- The sophisticated operating concept and cutting-edge automatic train safety ensure that the trains run safely at high speeds, three minutes apart from each other.
- The two emergency stop stations at Sedrun and Faido form the basis for rapid evacuations.
- Every 325 metres, passages to the parallel tube provide quick access to a safe space.
- Emergency lighting, handrails and signs help train passengers to get out of danger themselves.
Biasca and Erstfeld have maintenance and intervention centres, from where fire-fighting and rescue trains can enter the tunnel.