CEVA.

CEVA, the rail link to Geneva and suburban areas.

The dream that the Canton of Geneva and its closest French neighbours have had for such a long time will soon become reality with the Cornavin–Eaux-Vives–Annemasse (CEVA) rail link. With this link it will be possible to reach Annemasse from Geneva in 20 minutes via Cornavin, Lancy-Pont-Rouge, Carouge-Bachet, Champel-Hôpital, Eaux-Vives and Chêne-Bourg.

More than 910,000 people currently live within a 40 km radius of Geneva city, and this is expected to climb to 1,100,000 by 2020. Mobility needs will rise proportionally, which further underlines CEVA's importance. This link will create a Swiss-French rail network with more than 40 stations along a 230 km route on both sides of the border. The construction project was approved in 2008 but appeals delayed the start of construction work. CEVA's construction will take six years from groundbreaking. Consequently, the S-Bahn is expected to start running in 2017.

Crossing the border.

By providing a main axis in the suburbs, CEVA aims to expand the rail network in the region. Connecting the Swiss and French networks is already improving rail travel options on both sides of the border. Thus CEVA is playing an important part in developing the France/Vaud/Geneva region. The project will strengthen the cross-border relationship, not just economically but also in cultural and social terms. Since 2002, Franco-Swiss committees have been conducting studies into the areas of infrastructure, operations, border control and legislation.

Funding.

As the CEVA project is of international interest, the federal government is funding 57% of the total infrastructure costs. The canton must bear the remaining 43%. On 29 November 2009, Geneva's residents approved additional funding of over 113 million Swiss francs to improve passenger safety and residents’ comfort. The community’s approval created a huge obstacle to implementing the cross-border CEVA link, which in total will cost 1.5 billion francs. The project’s owners are the Canton of Geneva and the SBB. Collaboration between the two partners makes it possible to use both parties’ knowledge efficiently.

Residents.

CEVA's route runs through urban areas, which obviously involves advantages, but also disadvantages. The stations are surrounded by existing or emerging business premises and create an entirely new traffic density in Switzerland. More than 240,000 people will work and live within a 500 m radius of the CEVA stations. They will benefit from having access to the local and regional transport which the new network will offer.

Noise emissions will be reduced as much as possible. If you have any questions about the CEVA project please do not hesitate to contact the project managers.

Further content

More on the topic.