SBB’s real estate strategy for housebuilding.
By managing and developing properties around the railways in Switzerland‘s main economic hubs, SBB Real Estate is creating added value for the entire railway system, cities and the public.
- SBB already supports the construction of affordable housing and will continue to do so.
- Due to demand, SBB is planning to focus development more on the housing sector in future real estate projects.
- Any profit generated by SBB Real Estate is ploughed back into the railway system.
- As agreed with political leaders, real estate profits are used to restructure/consolidate the SBB pension fund, to make annual payments totalling CHF 150 million to SBB Infrastructure and to consolidate SBB’s debts.
- With its real estate strategy, SBB is fulfilling the mandate from the federal government that requires real estate used for commercial purposes to be managed in a market-orientated way and the increased value of the property portfolio to be guaranteed for the long term.