Cargo locomotive driver, martial artist and father of 3 children.
Cargo locomotive driver: At the heart of the Swiss economy.
You are independent, conscientious, flexible and have a hands-on approach. As a Cargo engine driver, you transport goods all over Switzerland, making an important contribution to the economy.
Cargo engine driver, travelling journeyman and skier.
There are two ways to get started as a locomotive driver at SBB Cargo.
On the move regionally – category B100.
You drive regional services with a speed of up to 100km/h, deliver freight wagons to customers and collect them again. You carry out shunting moves and form trains. You work outside whatever the weather.
On the move throughout Switzerland – category B.
As a category B train driver, the freight loads and your driving speeds are virtually unlimited. You drive trains across the country and also head to other linguistic regions of Switzerland. You provide the entire transport service from collection to delivery.
Daily life with variety.
A paperless cab does not mean operation purely by app. A hands-on approach and thinking independently are of utmost importance. You inspect, couple and secure locomotives. You are also responsible for brake testing and carrying out operational and technical checks on freight trains. When you get to your destination, you are personally responsible for uncoupling and shunting. If there is no shunting specialist on site, you manoeuvre the train composition by remote control. Sometimes you have to be precise to the centimetre when carrying out this task. Although you drive the train yourself, you are part of a team.
Starting your career.
Several training courses begin every year in different locations in Switzerland.
Start of the next training courses:
On the move regionally (category B100):
- 01.08.2023 or by arrangement, Eastern region (German) – Apply nowLink opens in new window.
- 01.09.2023 or by arrangement, Central Region (German) – Apply nowLink opens in new window.
- 01.09.2023, Biel/Bienne and Sion (French) – Apply nowLink opens in new window.
- 01.09.2023 Denges and Renens (French)
On the move across Switzerland (category B):
- 01.07.2023 Biel, Denges and Renens (French)
- 01.07.2023 Dietikon, Olten, Muttenz or Biel (German) – Apply nowLink opens in new window.
- 01.01.2024 Dietikon or Biel (German) – Apply nowLink opens in new window.